All of our collars are crafted based off of actual neck size, not “collar size.”
One of the great things about buying a custom made collar from us is that you get a collar that fits perfectly! Gone are the days of trying to guess what size collar your pup will fit into. We work from your exact measurements, and will put the neck size you specify on the middle hole of five. This creates a perfect fit, with adjustment room for some weight loss / gain and winter / summer coats.
It is incredibly important that you measure your dogs neck accurately. It’s best to use a measuring tape and take a flush measurement in the middle of the neck. Do not put two fingers under the measuring tape, this will result in a collar that is too big. If you don’t have a measuring tape, you can use a piece of string to measure, mark it, lay it flat then measure with a ruler.
Please do not measure neck size from an old collar, manufacturers and makers each have their own unique sizing standards so you’ll end up with a collar the wrong size. Remember, we work from actual neck size, NOT “collar size.”
The short version:
- Please do take a snug measurement of your pups neck, we need to know their actual neck size.
- Please do measure in the middle of your pups neck, too high [ near the head ] and the collar will be too small, too low [ near the shoulders ] and it will be too big.
- Please do double and triple check your measurements.
- Do not measure from an old collar.
- Do not put two fingers under the measuring tape, the collar will be too big.
Don’t forget, lots of treats will help your pup sit still, and make measuring easier and more fun! :)
Buying for a puppy?
We generally advise waiting until your pup has pretty much stopped growing before buying a collar for them so they don’t outgrow it. For smaller breeds, this is typically around 6 months to a year, but larger breeds can keep growing until they’re two or three years old.
That said, you can always let us know in the notes at checkout, and we’ll put your pups neck size on the first or second smallest hole, giving them room to grow into their collar.